Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Taking Cues from Glen Vilppu

Tuesday morning's Anatomy class was going horribly...I kept fighting my tools to try to get a drawing that I could stand looking at. I got frustrated, and then I remembered what Will said about learning to draw...if you want to draw like the masters, then watch HOW they draw...how they hold a pencil, what kinds of lines they make, how they choose to capture the light, etc.

So after making a TON of awful drawings, which I won't post (heehee), I stood behind Glen for half an hour and just watched how he held his pencil, what kinds of lines he made, etc.

After being thoroughly inspired, I sat back down and captured the last pose of the day, which turned out looking, in a classmate's words, "Very Vilppu". Will gives good advice.

Here's the final:

























Here's the other drawings of the day that are worth posting--a quick sketch and a face done from imagination based on what I've learned in both Karl and Glen's classes so far.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! Just wanted to say thanks for posting everyday. Your comments are very insightful and your drawings inspire me to work even harder! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you Kaabi! Your comment was also very encouraging :D
    It's always good to know that there are others out there going through and doing some of the same things you are, isn't it?

    Good luck with your art!

    ReplyDelete