Friday, April 1, 2011

Goodbye Star Wars, Hello Hanging Cave City!

So after doing some thinking (and drawing) to the Star Wars effect, I didn't really feel like the layout was working. I LOVE Star Wars, and still get a kick out of the idea, but I haven't been able to do any original design, since I'm basically drawing things that have already been invented and designed. Meh.

So I decided to ditch the idea, but I liked the composition so I chose to keep the same thumbnail. Then last night I was seized with inspiration! I'm going to create a hidden city with strange buildings hanging from the cave ceiling! (These will handily replace the bottom of the Star Destroyer in the original thumbnail...do you know how hard it is to convey "Star Destroyer" by simply drawing the bottom corner of one? No one's gonna recognize that...)

I traced over my thumbnail and replaced the ship with dwellings, and then did some designing. What do the dwellings look like? I did some doorways carved into stalactites and stalagmites, some rickety stairwells that will look like spun sugar clinging to the cave ceiling, and then designed some hanging lanterns to light the ancient city. Enjoy! Definitely more to come!

PS Please click on the image for a full view!

No comments:

Post a Comment