Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Inspired by Marcelo Vignali

Marcelo Vignali was once a student of Will Weston's. He worked with Disney for a while as a concept artist, and now freelances. Some of his notable work was on "Surf's Up", where he designed in his naturally appealing style, which uses both shape and line in amazing ways.

I was poring over this prop Design of his during Will's class:


...and was thoroughly impressed and inspired! Oh to draw like Marcello :)

So after copying his various prop designs, I tried turning some around in space, then designed a couple items of my own using some of his drawing techniques:

 

(I forget if this pile of rocks is in the style of Vignali or Armand Serrano, who also did amazing development work on Surf's Up, but I really liked the simplicity of the core shadow and reflected light)


Anyways, you can find Marcelo Vignali here.

1 comment: